Archive: Dec 2015

Biafran Leader Kanu apologises to Buhari, Jonathan, Igbo elders

 

Biafran Leader Kalu

Leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra and founder of Radio Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu, has expressed regret for referring to President Buhari as a terrorist, evil and a paedophile during one of his programmes on his radio station on August 1st this year. Kanu tendered the apology for his comment against Buhari, Jonathan and others in a statement which he made to the DSS on October 23rd.

The statement in part reads

“Reference to the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as a terrorist, evil and a paedophile is regrettable and uncalled for and for that, I unreservedly apologise and will be doing so in a private letter to the President. Before PMB (President Buhari) there was the administration of Goodluck Jonathan. I also said uncomplimentary things about him and Igbo elders as well, which I now recognise should not have happened because it is un-African to be rude or insolent to elders. All I was trying to do is to draw attention to the problems afflicting society and something done about them.”‎.

He says he is however not apologetic on his stand for the actualization of the Biafran state. Kanu who is standing trial for treason and five other offenses, was arrested on October 14th this year. He was recently charged to court by the ‎federal government.

Its getting worse for Sepp Blatter as FIFA slams him more fines

 

Blatter, wearing a plaster on his face,

 

Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini have been banned from all football activities for eight years and fined by the FIFA adjudicatory ethics chamber.

The decision, revealed in Zurich on Monday, brings a definitive end to Blatter and Platini’s control of the sport with both unable to run for FIFA presidency on February 26.

According to reports,the bans have been imposed by FIFA’s ethics committee headed by Judge Hans-Joachim Eckert for a ‘disloyal payment’ of £1.35million (2million Swiss francs) to Platini, signed off by Blatter in 2011.

Blatter spoke at a packed news conference shortly after the decision was made and confirmed he will appeal to the Court of Arbitration in Sport, insisting only the FIFA congress could remove him as president. He blamed everyone but himself.

‘I am really sorry. I am sorry that I am still somewhere a punching ball,’ he said. ‘I am sorry that as president of FIFA, I am this punching ball. I am sorry for football.’  he was quoted as saying.

Blatter, wearing a plaster on his face, looked disheveled as he was bustled through a throng of cameras

Blatter spoke at a packed news conference shortly after a statement revealing his suspension was released

So far, reports have it that Blatter has been fined £33,700, while Platini has been fined £53,940

Adele’s North American tour sells out in minutes as her album sets new sales record

 

Adele

Adele’s tour tickets are have fast sold out; according to reports, it became an exercise in futility, as tickets for the singer’s upcoming North American tour sold out in minutes.

The 27-year-old British singer’s 56-date tour, announced earlier this week, follows record-breaking sales of 5.2million units in the United States alone of her new album, 25.

Fans attempt to buy tickets but were disappointed to hear they’ve all been sold out.

The songstress delighted fans with her ‘surprise’ tour announcement, much of that delight has disappeared as many fans were left ticketless and frustrated.

Chelsea sack Jose Mourinho after Premier League slump

Jose Mourinho

Jose Mourinho has been sensationally sacked as Chelsea manager after a 2-1 defeat by Leicester compounded his side’s miserable start to the season.

The Portuguese boss guided his side to the Premier League title in May, but Monday’s loss was their ninth of the campaign, leaving them in 16th place, just a point above the relegation places.

In a statement made by the club :

“Chelsea Football Club and Jose Mourinho have today parted company by mutual consent.

“All at Chelsea thank Jose for his immense contribution since he returned as manager in the summer of 2013.

“His three league titles, FA Cup, Community Shield and three League Cup wins over two spells make him the most successful manager in our 110-year history.

“But both Jose and the board agreed results have not been good enough this season and believe it is in the best interests of both parties to go our separate ways.

“The club wishes to make clear Jose leaves us on good terms and will always remain a much-loved, respected and significant figure at Chelsea.

“His legacy at Stamford Bridge and in England has long been guaranteed and he will always be warmly welcomed back to Stamford Bridge.

“The club’s focus is now on ensuring our talented squad reaches its potential.

“There will be no further comment until a new appointment is made.”

Shi’ites Protest Arrest Of Their Leader

Shiite-protest

 

Thousands of members of the Shia Muslim sect took to the streets yesterday, December 14, in protest over the arrest of their leader Sheikh Ibraheem El-Zakzaky and the death of their members during the clash with Nigerian army on Saturday.

The protests were staged in Kano, Kebbi and Bauchi as well as in different countries.

The sect has accused the army of killing at least one thousand of its members and evacuated their bodies to unknown destinations.

Shiite-protest2

The shi’ites and Nigerian army had clashed on Saturday, following allegations that IMN members had attempted to assassinate Nigeria’s army chief, Buratai on his way to Zaria.

Shiite-protest-in-Kebbi2

There is an ongoing protest at the Nigerian Embassy in Tehran, over the killing over Shiite Muslims. Isreali and UK flags are being burnt at the protest. A number of Iranians gathered in front of the Nigerian embassy in Tehran to protest.

Shiite-Tehran2

A number of Iranians gathered in front of the Nigerian embassy in Tehran to protest.

78 inmates regain freedom in Nassarawa

 

Nasarawa State governor, Tanko Al-Makura, on Friday announced the release of 78 persons awaiting trial in five prisons in the state.

Mr. Al-Makura announced this during a visit to Keffi Prison in Keffi Local Government Area of the state.

The governor said the gesture was to decongest the prisons and give the freed inmates a sense of belonging and the opportunity to contribute their quarter positively to national development.

“Today, on behalf of the Nasarawa State government, I am freeing 78 inmates from the five federal prisons in the state.

“This is part of the state government’s support to President Muhammadu Buhari’s efforts in decongesting prisons across the country as well as to make the inmates responsible members of the society,” Mr. Al-Makura said
He re-iterated his administration’s commitment to partner with the ministry of Interior in improving the condition of prisons.

The minister of interior, Abdulrahman Danbazau, commended the state government for coming to the aid of the inmates through payment of their fines, saying the gesture would reduce the burden of prison authority.

Mr. Danbazau advised the freed persons to reciprocate the gesture through good conduct by avoiding any form of crime.

Photo: Could This Be The Real Face Of Jesus

 

Is this the real face of Jesus?

 

From the first time Christian children settle into Sunday school classrooms, an image of Jesus Christ is etched into their minds. In North America he is most often depicted as being taller than his disciples, lean, with long, flowing, light brown hair, fair skin and light-colored eyes. Familiar though this image may be, it is inherently flawed. A person with these features and physical bearing would have looked very different from everyone else in the region where Jesus lived and ministered. Surely the authors of the Bible would have mentioned so stark a contrast.

On the contrary, according to the Gospel of Matthew, when Jesus was arrested in the garden of Gethsemane before the Crucifixion, Judas Iscariot had to indicate to the soldiers whom Jesus was because they could not tell him apart from his disciples. Further clouding the question of what Jesus looked like is the simple fact that nowhere in the New Testament is Jesus described, nor have any drawings of him ever been uncovered. There is the additional problem of having neither a skeleton nor other bodily remains to probe for DNA.

In the absence of evidence, our images of Jesus have been left to the imagination of artists. The influences of the artists’ cultures and traditions can be profound, observes Carlos F. Cardoza-Orlandi, associate professor of world Christianity at Columbia Theological Seminary in Atlanta. “While Western imagery is dominant, in other parts of the world he is often shown as black, Arab or Hispanic.” And so the fundamental question remains: What did Jesus look like?

Read More Here

Yes I Collected N670m From Dasuki As Compensation For Suffering Boko Haram Attack – Thisday Chairman

 

Indications emerged in the ongoing arms scandal probe that some money were disbursed to media houses from the office of the former National Security Adviser Sambo Dasuki through the Chairman and Publisher of Thisday Newspapers, Chief Nduka Obaigbena. While the Thisday boss did not deny the allegation, he explained to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) which invited him to account for the N670 million traced to him as part of the $2.1 billion arms budget, that the amount he received from the Office of National Security Adviser, ONSA was duly approved for him by former President Goodluck Jonathan to compensate him for the dastardly bombing of his offices in Abuja and Kaduna by Boko Haram insurgents.

In response to a letter of invitation from the EFCC, Obaigbena said the approval by Jonathan for the payment of the sum of N550 million to him was in response to the letters of appeal he personally wrote to him pleading for assistance following the destruction of his buildings and printing facilities by the insurgents.

He wondered how such compassionate approval by the former president and subsequent payment by the ONSA could not amount to receiving suspicious funds from the office of the NSA.

“We have never received any suspicious funds from the Office of the National Security Adviser. All funds received from the Office of the National Security Adviser were payments for compensation to mitigate the dastardly Boko Haram Haram twin bombings of the Thisday Newspapers offices in Abuja and Kaduna on Thursday April 26, 2012, during which four innocent Nigerian lives were lost.

“During that attack, our buildings were destroyed and we lost full colour Goss printing towers and three pre-press Computer-To-Plate and anxiliary equipment and other invaluable property valued at over N2.5 billion. This was aside the daily costs to pay third party printers of over N1 billion having lost our printing facility to terrorists due to inadequate protection by the Federal Government of Nigeria.

He noted that the money was drawn down from the ONSA in March 2015 following the appeal made to Jonathan by the Newspaper Proprietors Association of Nigeria (NPAN).

“As President of the NPAN, it was my duty to lead media leaders to hold discussions with President Goodluck Jonathan to avert

a class action lawsuit against the Armed Forces and the Federal Government of Nigeria.

“On both occasions, President Jonathan said he did not wish to lay precedence and in our case, he specifically said there were many victims of Boko Haram. I had to confront President Jonathan on the issue when I learnt of approvals for the reconstruction of the Abuja United Nations Building, since we were the second major organisation to be attacked by Boko Haram after the UN attack.

“Jonathan therefore directed me to meet the National Security Adviser who processed the three payments in question.”

Obaigbena attached the exchange of correspondences between him and former President Jonathan and his approvals to the NSA for payment and said he was ready to meet the EFCC for clarification once he returned to Nigeria.